¨¨¨°º the adventures of choklit chanteuse º°¨¨¨



4.28.2009

CoutureLust: Scoundrelle's Keep

It was a striking image on her Flickr photostream that enamored me to Heather Luca's brilliant clothing line out of Saint Paul, Minnesota, Scoundrelle's Keep. Heather's designs are both playful and elegant.

Heather's recent collaboration with Samantha Rei of Blasphemina's Closet is breathtaking. It premiered at a recent Dances of Vice event (oh, if only I lived close to New York!). Images by Photosynthetique.

How did you get your start making clothes?

I learned the basics of sewing from my mom as I was growing up. She made many garments for us, even matching mom-and-daughter sets. Looking through the photo albums still makes me wince! When I had my daughter, I found myself with many small pockets of free time that I would end up wasting because I couldn't really go out and do stuff with an infant.

That Christmas, I asked my family to buy me a sewing machine, and thus picked up the hobby again. When I got married the following summer, I made my own wedding gown, including a beautiful white-on-white brocade corset. It was my first serious attempt at a corset - it was a kit from Farthingales in Canada, and it turned out really well. From there, I had friends asking me to make them corsets, and word spread like wildfire. Soon I was taking clients from even out of state!

Where do you find inspiration?

I am very inspired by classic Victorian clothing. I tried doing historical recreation of garments, but I found that far too restricting, so I integrated modern fabrics, materials, and techniques that would not have been available in that era to create something new and decadent. I create from the past that never was.

What are three things that please you the most in the world?

My family, especially my 7 year old daughter, Kaia; being able to dress fancy in neo-Victorian and Lolita styles, and collecting Asian ball-jointed dolls (ABJD).

What do you do besides design amazing clothes?

I went to college for photography, and I love being able to capture images. With most of my local orders, I offer a free photo shoot at the completion of a corset or outfit, both as a bonus to the client, and as a way to keep my portfolio filled with the newest garments I've made.

What piece of work are you most proud of?

Its hard to narrow it down to one piece. Each garment I finish is more beautiful than the last. I really love the fall collection of clothes that I showed at Kakkoi|Con and Schoolgirls and Mobilesuits (SGMS)- it was the first full line that I have made, and it went from design to fruition really smoothly.

Where can we find your line?

I am available locally in Saint Paul, Minnesota for in-person consultations for orders; you can also purchase custom-made items directly from my website.

Thank you Heather! I'll carry on dreaming of owning a corset-dress from Scoundrelle's Keep.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

wow these designs are so exciting and cute!
I really love your blog! Every post is so interesting and unique. :)

Pamela said...

Lovely post Choklit! Do you have some of her work? I need to get one of those splendid underbust corsets!!!

. c h o k l i t . said...

Alas, I don't have any of Heather's work just yet! Her corset-dresses make me drool, though...

Sarah Dungan said...

That's some seriously stunning fashion. I really love the twists that are obviously modern but still somehow looks completely at home with the victorian styles.

And I want that pinstripe corset-dress too Choklit!

Anonymous said...

oh my gaaaaawd!
I'm going shopping!
*heads over to scoundrelle's keep*

AlliesAdornments said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
AlliesAdornments said...

Fabulous creations & too dangerous for my checkbook to look at!

Wenchie said...

Want! Wait no I Need more corsets

Thieving Magpie said...

Oh Choklit, you don't know how much I have longed for Scoundrelle's waterfall skirt, let alone that fantastic corset with the over shoulder yoke. If only I were made of money! I know I would look fantastic in it, as would anyone. *sigh* I shall have to dream for now. Thank you for interviewing her. Very interesting.