¨¨¨°º the adventures of choklit chanteuse º°¨¨¨



11.13.2008

Finely Crafted Pop

I have to admit that I have a huge appreciation for finely crafted pop, of the Belle and Sebastian or The Shins variety. And this weekend Skyeboy and I had a little album-shopping spree at the last independent record store in our town.

Largely inspired by David Byrne's play-list for the month, we struck gold on almost all our purchases, but I just want to gush over two of them.

First, the glory that is Seattle's Fleet Foxes.


At first glance, I thought the cover was a Bosch painting, but it's actually a painting called Netherlandish Proverbs by an artist named Pieter the Elder.

Self-described as "baroque harmonic pop jams" ~ all I know is it makes me want to frolic through a beautiful renaissance forest. I'm such a pushover for beautiful harmonies. How can I not love this album?

And then, of Montreal. Strange and operatic synth-pop, with nonsensical quirky lyrics and infectious melodies - and just enough of a dose of silliness to make me happy.


I can see how this album would either make one swoon or drive one batty, depending on mood. I was definitely in need of a new music infusion, and I adored it. Forgive me if I'm a latecomer to either of these parties, but both records have gone into overdrive on my iPod, so I'm sharing.

2 comments:

Fyriel said...

Both of those are amazing! I've been on a new music search too...I've been listening to Andrew Bird, he's super amazing, you might like that music too.

And thanks for commenting on my article! I know, I think that guy was confusing steampunks with like, some sort of fandom, which is so not true....

bloodmilk. said...

do you like the new 'of montreal'?

Believe it or not, I actually semi disliked "Labyrinth"..when I was a kid...
maybe all the singing....
hehhe.

Let me know if you liked 'The Fall'
xoxo